My apologies for being missing two weeks! The events that have usurped my blogging time are the kinds of things that bond friends and make plots for Nicholas Sparks’ books. I’m looking forward to brighter days for my friends, and continued success with The Method Writers! Our book signings were terrific events – made so by the fantabulous people who attended!
Now – on to some of the (hopefully) useful tidbits I’ve come across in the past week…
Free Publicity –
Are you a member of a professional writing, speaking or business organization? Do they have opportunities for members to announce events or accomplishments? Most do – and they are free to members! Take advantage of that market to announce your book or a signing event!
Business Savvy –
If you consider your writing a small business, do you know how to set that up? Pay the proper taxes, keep the correct records and receipts? If you have questions about how to set up and operate as a business, contact SCORE – a free service sponsored by the Small Business Administration. SCORE is composed of volunteers from all types of business backgrounds. Many colleges will offer a four-evening program for a minimal fee to learn all the basic facts. Web search the Small Business Administration and get in touch with a SCORE office near you. (www.sba.gov)
While the MOST important thing you must do to be an author is to write, it’s also important to learn about your craft, the business, and network with others in the industry. Look at your budget and plan on one or two per year that will afford you opportunities to learn and mingle. Good for your spirit and your career!
- WRITING FOR THE SOUL – FEB 14-17 Colorado Springs, CO. Christian writers of fiction and non-fiction. For more info: christianwritersguild.com/conference.
- WRITERS DIGEST CONFERENCE WEST – OCT 19-21, Los Angeles, CA. More info: email@example.com or visit www.writersdigest.com
- PET WRITING CONFERENCE – FEB 9, 2013 in NY City. More info: http://www.petwritingconference.com
- WINTER POETRY & PROSE GETAWAY, JAN. 18-21, 2013 Stockton College of New Jersey. More info: www.wintergetaway.com
Whether you enter for feedback, kudos, or money, don’t overlook the opportunities of the reputable contests available all over the world.
- http://OnThePremises.com. Short stories since 2006, cash prizes.
- http://www.glimmertrain.org Kudos and cash!
- http://www.briarcliff.edu/bcreview. Kudos, subscription and cash. (Fee)
BOOK AUTHORS TOUR – Sharon E. Buck has a brand new, easy-to-use publication available for a few bucks, entitled, SELL MORE BOOKS. To get your copy, visit her at www.bookauthorstour.com.
Wednesday join me for some tips on writing FABULOUS FIRST PAGES!
Until then, KEEP WRITING! NQ