Google Authorship – Another Author Marketing Tool

GoogleGoogle Authorship is a program to let an author link content they’ve published online with their Google+ profile. But it isn’t automatic!

First, you have to sign up for Authorship and you must have a Google+ profile with a photo. Each page of the content has to have your byline on it – by Sam Spade – and each byline must match the name in your Google+ profile. Google+ is the social networking service hosted by Google. No, it has not displaced Facebook, but it does have a place in the cyber-community.

Now, the real key to this link-up is proof of affiliation with the publishing website. That is done through obtaining an email address which features the site’s domain name (nancy@nlquatrano.com), or by hyperlinking the content to your Google+ profile.

Authorship contains a ranking function which puts more control in the hands of authors to promote the content they’ve written, meaning that authors can be active and knowledgeable about developing their online reputation and credibility.

The significance of Google Authorship will be that it gives authors the ability to develop direct relationships with readers. Any time an author can impact their relationship with readers, the author is in a position of power.

Now, amidst all the chatter about Google+ going away, why should we be remotely interested in Authorship? The experts – not the talking heads – in the industry believe that Google+ isn’t going anywhere. While it’s been slow to catch on, it has a solid footing and circles are growing, especially in the commercial sector.

Writers are business people. That puts us in the commercial sector, too. I think any way that we can connect with readers is probably a good thing.

Time will tell for Authorship as well as Google+ —but it might be worth the time to learn more about it and see if it’s a tool that will work for you. As Rik Feeney often says, writing, editing and getting the book published is only 20% of the job. The other 80% is concerned with getting your work in front of the readers. Using tools that help us do that is the smart way to work.

Keep reading and writing! Nancy Q.

Advertisements

About NL Quatrano

Award-winning author, speaker, editor and ghost writer, Nancy owns a full-time editing, writing and specialty publishing business: On-Target Words/WC Publishing. Volunteer/member of professional writing organizations including Florida Writers Assoc., Sisters in Crime, and AWAI. 2010 Professional Woman of the Year by the NAPW. Linked in Editor Pick May 2013. International Women's Leadership Association nominee for Outstanding Leadership 2014.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s